Today Brad speaks with Dan and Emily Clark of Clark & Co. Homes. The Clarks established their firm in 2011 with the mission of bringing creative design solutions to the Treasure Valley through their highly functional home plans and character-filled interiors.
Dan’s background in real estate, residential home construction management, and land development consulting gives him a unique, holistic approach to the building process. Emily’s New England upbringing exposed her from an early age to historic proportions and timeless design, uniquely informing her distinctive style viewpoint.
With supply chain issues and all manner of challenges around communicating with clients and vendors developing by the day throughout the last 18 months, Dan and Emily explain that they practically had to “throw out” many of the processes that they had only settled into since starting their business.
“It just allows us to be creative,” says Emily, “and really capitalize on that ability.” And part of that ability to stay creative includes having to establish a system that is more streamlined as well as being more discerning about which clients to accept.
To the Clarks, thriving in the design and construction industry in the new normal has largely been a matter of strengthening relationships with clients and vendors and making sure that everyone has utmost confidence in their ability to deliver by setting clear expectations with each party.
- [02:19] Navigating the design and construction industry in 2020 and 2021
- [06:35] Dealing with unforeseen issues and keeping clients happy
- [12:59] Planning for contingencies
- [15:47] Why Clark & Co. Homes have been more focused on “hybrid spec”
- [20:55] Introducing “universality” of design in the Boise market
- [25:48] Dan and Emily’s respective roles and how they built the company
- [36:04] Conducting virtual tours of finished concept homes
- [39:03] Drawing inspiration from Emily’s upbringing in Maine and travels
- [42:02] Building and strengthening relationships in the industry
- [47:34] How social media has helped Clark & Co. Homes grow
- [50:16] Setting expectations with clients
- [54:46] Managing emergencies
- [59:15] Dan and Emily’s secrets to success
- [1:05:31] What’s next for Clark & Co. Homes?
Connect with Guest:
Connect with Brad Leavitt:
Key Quotes by Dan and Emily:
We’re definitely curious about how people live, how our clients live, and wanting to answer their pain points. ~Emily
I’ve been in this [industry] for over 15 years now. When someone gives me a menu from The Cheesecake Factory, it’s just overwhelming. It’s anxiety-producing. I think there’s an element of truth to that same concept in homebuilding and design. ~Dan
We have a great team, and we make it a point, right from the start, to make sure that the clients are aware that we chose the people that are working with us for a specific reason, and that they have super powers that no one else at the office have. ~Emily
If there’s anything I learned in the last year-and-a-half, it’s that very few things are actual emergencies. ~Emily
It makes our job easier when we can put our trust into a team that’s competent and passionate. ~Dan
It’s been a fortunate turn of events that we’ve been able to curate a great team and it comes down to the passion and the assimilation with our ideals of the branding and what we’re putting together. Creating a home for somebody is such an intimate experience. ~Dan