Liven Up Your Room with an Accent Wall
Accent walls can serve many purposes such as providing a “pop” of design that can break up a room (especially a large room); creating a focal point for the room or accentuating an existing focal point such as a fireplace; bringing attention to a part of the room that may otherwise go unnoticed; or lessening the need for additional decorating. We believe an accent wall is also an excellent opportunity to be creative and try a design element or paint color without committing to an entire room.
When people think of accent walls, many people simply think of one wall painted a different color than the other walls in the room. However, there are many ways to create an accent wall. At AFT Construction, we have helped our clients create accent walls using reclaimed wood, brick, stone, and wallcoverings such as wallpaper and fabrics. Using materials other than paint can bring texture and richness to an accent wall and create a much more unique appearance.
Whatever your reason for creating an accent wall, there are certain things to consider when designing your accent wall to ensure you are happy with the end result.
- When creating an accent wall using another paint color, it is important to make sure it complements the other colors in the room. However, that does not mean you have to match perfectly.
- Use design elements of the room such as furniture fabric or a comforter when picking a color.
- Choose the type of accent wall to suit the style of the room. For example, reclaimed wood can be a good choice if you are looking to add a rustic look.
- Brighter colors such as reds, yellows, and turquoise can be fun, bold and energize the room. For this reason, bedrooms may not be the best place for these types of colors.
- Darker paint colors or a stone wall can provide a feeling of richness, calmness, and maturity.
- Colors and types of materials can make a room feel and appear larger or smaller so it is good to understand how it will affect the room. Warmer colors can make a room feel more intimate, which cool colors can make a room feel more expansive.
Accent walls can go wrong if not done properly, but do not be afraid to have fun and experiment, especially when using paint. Accent walls are a great way to add design flare and uniqueness to your room.